• Sites selected for 4,800MW nuclear power projects in Nigeria

    The Government of Nigeria has selected the states of Kogi and Akwa Ibom to construct two nuclear power facilities, totalling 4,800MW.

    Rosatom confirmed about the sites and said that the facilities will be equipped with two reactors each, reported Reuters.

    The projects are expected to involve an investment of at least $20bn.

    Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission (NAEC) chairman Erepamo Osaisai was quoted by Daily Trust as saying: "Detailed evaluation and characterization to be conducted on preferred sites on the approval of the government in Geregu, Ajaokuta Local Government Area of Kogi State and Itu in Itu LGA of Akwa Ibom State."

    Nigeria had been in talks with Russia's state-owned Rosatom to build nuclear facilities in the country. The latter will also co-finance the projects.

    NAEC expects to receive preliminary licensing for the approved sites from the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA)by the end of 2016.

    Nigeria is reported to have an installed capacity of around 6,000MW to over 7,000MW.

    Around 80% of the African country's energy mix is dependent on gas, while hydro accounts for the remaining 20%.

    Development of nuclear projects is part of Nigeria's efforts to diversify its power generation capabilities, to generate 20GW power by 2020.

    Nigeria Ministry of Power Permanent Secretary Godknows Igali said: "With NAEC's plan to inject 1,200MW from first nuclear power plant in 2025 and increase to 4,800MW in 2035, the energy mix is expected to have increased to about 20% power generation from clean sources."

  • PREMIER SERVICE

    SUBSCRIBE FOR NEWSLETTER

    Please enter your email